Sunday, April 14, 2013

Everyday life in Thanh Tien

As my time in Vietnam quickly approaches it's end, I've started to look at and appreciate the little things. The parts of my day that are unremarkable to me now as they have become part of my everyday life. Those things that are paradoxically the most unique and special moments for their simplicity. It is rare to get a real, "authentic" look into another culture -- I hesitate to even use the word "authentic" because I usually steer clear of any restaurant or tour that claim to provide an "authentic experience". All that aside, I believe that my daily visits to Thanh Tien have become routine for the locals and as such I've been invited and have gotten to see a different Vietnam, one that is at times foreign even to Vietnamese people living in the city!

Here are a few everyday sights in Thanh Tien village. It's funny for me to think now with a little perspective that these things no longer make me pause.
These little shrines are everywhere, as a way to remember one's ancestors

Paper flower making has become part of my daily routine

Though I've become accustomed to seeing copious amount of meat,
I still cringe whenever I see the live ducks, chickens, and even dogs
at local markets.

Now here's a sight you can never tire of! The kids were shy with me at
first but have since realized that I am a complete pushover and always
ask me to carry them around!


Mr. Dan's pillow factory, always busy, always full to the brim with pillows!

When in doubt, try to communicate with music! This is my friend Yen's
little brother. At first he was too shy to eat in the same room as me, but
he has since warmed but considerably and had me doing advanced
calculus with him over the weekend.... yikes!

This one is for you mom: a part of getting your haircut here is getting
your ears cleaned! Long tweezers and cotton ball things that make you
shiver. Quite the experience!

Rice, rice, and more rice! And apparently insecticide that you can
handle with your bare hands and toss out on your crops to keep them healthy?

Mr. Loan's got style.
Day of the Dead celebrations: Catholic or Buddhist, no matter, you still
celebrate with some praying, lots of food, and copious amounts of beer.
The men and women sit at different tables and you eat and drink until you
fall asleep -- all before 1pm!
Before arriving here I truly thought that the the conical traditional
Vietnamese hats weren't worn anymore by everyday people. Wrong! Here's
a normal day, at a regular local market. When I wear one of these, everyone
speaks Vietnamese to me!



This tree was planted next to the shrine dedicated to the harvest gods for
luck. It's over 150 years old!


No comments:

Post a Comment